Backup and Restore Plugin
Backup all your content; keep your online community safe.
The Backup and Restore plugin is absolutely essential for all SocialEngine sites. This plugin provides several options for backups and also facilitates emergency restore, recovery and site migration. It makes the important tasks of backing up your site's database and files very quick and easy.
The benefits of having backup copies of your site, and the ability to restore your website in case of disasters, data corruption, crashes, etc are significant.
* This plugin backsup complete content of your site including the entire database and files.
* You can choose whether to backup database, files, or both.
* Providehttp://www.socialengine.net/client/add-mods Manual and Automatic backups.
* Multiple destinations supported for saving backups.
* Allows you to selectively backup tables and data from your database.
* Allows you to create a manual backup before installing any new plugin on your site or making configuration changes. This way, you will have a restore point in case of disaster.
* The database backups created can be imported by this plugin for easy restore.
* The database backups can also be imported by other database handling tools like phpMyAdmin or the mysql command line.
* Highly compressed backups to save storage space.
* You can choose how many backups should be kept on the server. Older backups will automatically be deleted.
* Database tables can be locked during a backup.
* Maintenance Mode can be activated during a backup.
* Prefix can be set for the names of the backup files.
* Automatic backups provide convenience.
* Automatic backups can be taken for site's database.
* You can schedule backups to be automatically performed after specified intervals (like every 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, etc.). If your site is inactive, no auto-backups will be taken till there is activity on site.
* A destination can be chosen for the automatic database backups.
* Email notifications are sent to designated email addresses for backup completion. These notifications contain information about the backups.
* Multiple destinations can be created for storing backups.
* During manual backup or while configuring automatic backup, destination can be selected.
* Destination types available:
- Directory on server: An admin configured backup directory on server can be used for storing both database and files backups.
- Email attachment: Database backups can be emailed as attachments.
- FTP server: Backups can be directly saved on external FTP servers.
- MySQL database: Database backups can be taken on other MySQL databases on the server.
* Password protection can be configured for the server backup directory.
* Backups can also be downloaded to computer and saved on storage discs like hard discs, CDs, DVDs, etc.
* Database Restore functionality of this plugin enables easy restoration of site database from a backup file created by this plugin.
* Selected database tables can also be restored by using a backup of only those tables.
* Detailed listings of both database and files backups.
* Listings show various parameters of the backups like their filename, destination, method, type, size, backup time, etc.
* Admin can see the last time an available backup was taken.
* From the database backup listing, the backups available on server can be downloaded, or directly used for database restore.
* From the files backup listing, the backups available on server can be downloaded.
* Old backup entries, and backup files available on server can be deleted.
* Deleting old backups that you feel are no longer needed, allows you to save disk storage space.
* Concise log-records are maintained of the backups taken for the site.
* The log entries show various parameters of the backups like type, mode, filesize, method, status, start time, end time, etc.
* Backup log records also contain entries of backups that have been deleted from the listings.
* Backup log records can be filtered.
* Old log records can be deleted.
* Fast and easy to configure.
What are backups? Why do I need them?
Imagine that you are installing a new plugin on your site, or making changes on your site, and your database gets messed up. Or, imagine that your hosting server crashed, and you lost everything. These are only some of the many accidents that can occur with your site. Like they say, it's better to be safe than sorry. Backups are like insurance for your site. You need them the most when your site is in trouble. They are copies of your data which may be used to restore your site after mishappenings like data loss, data corruption, server crash, site attack, etc. Backups can also be used to migrate your site to another server. Your site's data and content are its life. The Backup and Restore plugin helps you protect them.
What different types of backups does this plugin enable for my site?
This plugin enables you to backup all the content of your site. Thus, it allows you to take both: a) Database backup b) Files backup.
What is Files Backup? Why is it needed?
Files backup allows you to backup the code of your site, and the files uploaded on your site. Files uploaded on your site can be user profile photos, album photos, group photos, music content, etc. Files backup is needed so that you do not loose any customizations done to you site, or content uploaded on your site during a server crash, or any other accident.
What are backup destinations? What are their different types?
Backup destinations are the locations where your backup files are saved. This plugin allows you to create multiple destinations of the following types: a) Email: Database backups can be emailed as attachments. b) FTP Server: Backups can be directly saved on external FTP servers. c) MySQL database: Database backups can be taken on other MySQL databases on the server. Additionally, there is a backup directory on the site server as well. Backup files can also be downloaded to your computer and saved on storage discs like hard discs, CDs, DVDs, etc.
What is automatic backup?
You can schedule backups to be automatically performed after specified intervals (like every 6 hours, 12 hours, 1 day, 2 days, 1 week, etc.). If your site is inactive, no auto-backups will be taken till there is activity on site. Automatic backups can be configured from the
Does automatic backup happen for files backup?
No, automatic backup only takes place for database backups. For files backups, manual backup method can be used.
How will I know when an automatic backup has completed?
Can I use other tools for restoring the database using the backup created by this plugin?
Yes, the database backup files created by this plugin are a list of SQL statements which can also be imported / executed by other database handling tools like phpMyAdmin or the mysql command-line client.
Does this plugin provide both database and files restore functionalities?
No, this plugin only restores the database. To restore the files of your site from a files backup, you could simply use an FTP client which you would have used for uploading SocialEngine code on your server.
Is this easy to install?
Yes, absolutely! This plugin will install seamlessly on your SocialEngine with the one click Package installation feature.
What will my plugin download contain?
The plugin download will be a zipped file, which upon extraction will give the plugin package tar file, the license file, and the installation instructions file.